Thursday, 19 June 2008

Almost the end of a long week

Well I have made it to Thursday and am still going although all this work is actually making me quite tired. Done more reading for this placement so I don't look like a complete spanner than I have done for most of the year so it is all taking its toll. Today was exciting, a lady had a massive Pulmonary Embolism which killed her, it was quite unexpected so an autopsy has to be completed. We had actually planned to do some physio with her but had decided to do another lady first which was lucky as didn't really fancy someone dying on me, just seeing them was enough for me! So not the best of afternoons but there was some funny tales at lunchtimes from the physios discussing faux pas that they had done. One guy decided to buy a patient a birthday card, he liked his booze and so the physio thought a booze related joke card would be best. At the end of his shift he went card shopping and bought one which read a little like this....

Whats different about a snail, whale, fish and you but not about a horse.

(Open Card)

The horse isnt legless!

This would normally be quite a funny joke however he had forgotten that the person he was sending the card to did infact have a double amputation of his legs! Apparently the card didn't go down to well.

Other similar events included telling an amputee to hop along as he was running late, whistling the tune to who wants to live forever in an intensive care ward and telling a patient with a life threatening illness to do his exercise as they wouldn't kill him!

Anyway away from the hospital there should be some interesting football games this week, I would quite like Portugal, Croatia, Spain and Holland to go through as I think so far they have easily been the best teams however I am certain that a very average German team and very lucky Italian side might just scrape through. We will have to wait and see.

No comments: